top of page

Mental Health Resources

Two statutes give minors the right to consent to mental health treatment. If a minor meets the criteria under either statute, the minor may consent to his or her own treatment. If the minor meets the criteria under both, the provider may decide which statute to apply.


Family Code § 6924 “A minor who is 12 years of age or older may consent to mental health treatment or counseling on an outpatient basis or to residential shelter services, if both of the following requirements are satisfied:


(1) The minor, in the opinion of the attending professional person, is mature enough to participate intelligently in the outpatient services or residential shelter services.  AND  (2) The minor (A) would present a danger of serious physical or mental harm to self or to others without the mental health treatment or counseling or residential shelter services, or  (B) is the alleged victim of incest or child abuse.” (Fam. Code § 6924.) For more information on minor consent laws click here.

Phoenix House

Jacqueline Cuevas: 661-305-0361

Or Email referral form to:

Hathaway Sycamores

Call Agency Contact: (626) 395-7100

Or Email referral form to:

Balboa Mental Health Center

(School Mental Health)

Call: 213-241-3840

Or Email referral form to:

If the minor has Medi-Cal:

Adult Services (Medi-Cal Only):

LA County ACCESS Line: Make an appointment for mental health services for adults & children

Call: 1-800-854-7771

If the minor is uninsured:


Supports families with enrollment of health insurance programs such as: Medi-Cal, Covered California and the Kaiser Permanente Child Health Program. 

Call: 866-742-2273

Balboa Mental Health Center  (School Mental Health)

Accepts students who are uninsured and have MediCal Call: 818-758-2300

If the Minor or Adult Has Private Insurance:

  1. Call the number on the back of your insurance card and ask them to send you a list of providers for “behavioral health" or "mental health" 

  2. Create an account with your insurance provider and search for therapists on their website

  3. Search for therapists in your area using the Psychology Today Directory:

bottom of page